"How can money be the root of all evil, when shopping is the cure for all sadness..." Elizabeth Taylor
I was recently asked this question: Traditionally one of the ways our business has promoted our products is via a local letter drop. Is there a more cost-effective way to promote our products to a wider audience?
There are certainly other ways of promoting your business. Without knowing the retail sector you’re in, here are some ideas:
Ramp up your bag stuffers. Change them regularly and hand them out to every customer who purchases in your store;
Ensure you capture customer’s email addresses so that you can send out emails, offers and newsletters;
Start a facebook page, ensuring you spend money on facebook ads targeted towards your market ie geographic, gender and age group;
Every product has a birthday! Your objective is to make sure that no product celebrates a birthday in your shop. Be ruthless!
So, if you have product that’s not moving, here are some ideas to get it out of your shop:
- Move it to another location and monitor its sales – the product could be just fine – it might just be in the wrong place.
- Promote it using signage, or if it is already promoted with signage, change the signage. The sign could be sending out the wrong signals.
- If you find you’re not doing the amount of business you expected, you just may need to stimulate a little activity. Sometimes you may not even need a sale. Maybe all you need is a creative non-sale promotion eg. Combine the offending product with another and sell them as a pair....
Fridge Magnets Featured
Well to start, don’t think that a custom magnet has to be a business card substitute. A number of great promotional ideas for utilising custom magnets are:
- Once a service has been rendered offer a discount magnet for repeat business
- Place your company promotional message on the magnet along with details
- Place your facebook and social media details on the card
- Promote a competition or ongoing prize draw
- Place a code on the magnet so when clients contact you for service they get a discount
- Run an incentive program or repeat business bonus to encourage customers to keep the custom magnet
- Create invitations to functions such a fund raisers, product launches or special events
You know how 'boring' the majority of shopping is nowadays? - same product, lookalike shops, same less than exciting service ... yada yada yada. For the first time in a long, long time I walked into a shop and laughed out loud with delight. This is what took my fancy.
How great is this!! ... bondage and discipline products to get your garden under control...
I was in Tim's Garden Centre in Campbelltown ... on a wet, wet day.
This Centre has such a personality - it's quirky, funny, different than any other nursery I've set foot in - and I've set foot in quite a few.
People tell me that signs don't matter. They matter! As you can see from this sign in Tim's they not only tell you about the product [and refocus you on what they're selling], but they fit the 'personality' of the business.